Thursday 16 February 2012

Back in Blighty

After an eight hour flight I managed to get straight out on the road for a quick sweet spot session. When I left the UK last week it was -3 degrees, but riding today made it My Powertap needs a service, so I headed out with just my Garmin 800 and heart rate monitor, the plan was to blast an hour in my sweet spot - or between 150 and 160 bpm. 


Hitting the Numbers



My recent FTP test, which put my power at threshold at a pleasing 261W, also predicted my threshold heart rate at 156 bpm - sometimes called lactate threshold heart rate or LTHR. This number provides a rather helpful insight for when I am not using a power meter for measuring the intensity of each interval or session, as it is a much better guide than using training zones based on maximum heart rate.

So I was pleased to average 155 bpm for the session and 160 bpm for the 1 hour sweet spot effort. Getting a puncture just as I was warming up was a bit frustrating thought!  


I am starting to look forward to the Raid Corsica now. Bring it on!

The details of the training ride are on STRAVA:

No comments:

Post a Comment