Sunday 22 April 2012

A solid week's training for Raid Corsica

Five back to back quality sessions this week took my weekly TSS above 600 with 9 hours on the bike. I'd love to have this time every week, but I think my wife would kick me out and the kids would disown me.  


Time commitments, riding lessons, clients and shocking weather meant I was confined to the garage for three days. Nowadays, I look forward to my indoor sessions in the torture chamber with my companion and coach TrainerRoad.


Feeling refreshed on Coyote Wednesday; one hour of VO2max intervals, with a tasty little 12 minute Threshold session to round things off. 


Looking good on Thursday, I smashed Tallac; three evenly spaced 15 minute sweet spot sessions. Another good session. I fell like I could ride in that zone for hours, which is what I'll be doing in the mountains of Corsica come this time next month. 




Friday I thought I'd mix it up a bit with a TrainerRoad / Sufferfest combination - The HUNTED. This session is not for the faint hearted; children and adults of weak disposition need to be removed from the area. It gets ugly. Very Ugly.




Saturday was a gentle 30 miler, with a little lung opener to beat my PB on a local STRAVA segment. Not only did I smash a PB, I am now King of the Mountains. Check that baby out.
  

Come Sunday, I was starting to feel it a little in my legs, so I 75 mile club run  in heavy wind up to Ivinghoe and one of the highest points in the area was just the ticket. I felt great for the first 50 miles, then the hunger set in and I was going through the energy gels with increasing regularity. However, 4 STRAVA Achievements for the ride is not to be sniffed at. I earn't my Sunday roast after that.


So, over 9 hours of riding and a TSS nudging over 600; same again next week then.




No comments:

Post a Comment